Free Entry: Open House London 21 & 22 September 2019
Open House London, the world’s largest architectural showcase will take place on 21 & 22 September. For the third year in a row, every London borough is participating.
Over 800 buildings will open their doors to the public across the two-day festival, alongside a programme of neighbourhood walks and architect-led tours – with everything free to attend. With this year’s festival theme of ‘social’ – Open House is exploring what it means to live together in cities today.
Enter a ballot for free access
A Ballot for 10 Downing Street, BT Tower, View from The Shard, Bloomberg European Headquarters, New Scotland Yard and US Embassy goes live 20 August. The ballot closes at the beginning of September and only successful entries will be contacted.
The Open House London App is available to download for both Android and iOS phones and tablets. The app is a great way to discover buildings open for the weekend nearby you with its live map function.
The Open House ‘Elements’ photography competition returns following on from the success of 2018 to see visitors explore London further during their Open House weekend through Instagram. This year’s prizes are sponsored by Curiocity – A-Z book on every dimension of London life.
Major new buildings include the Millenium Mills in the Royal Docks.
The New Museum of London can be found in the derelict General Market.
- New social housing by Hackney Council – Kings Crescent Estate by Karakusevic Carson Architects, Muf Art and Architecture, Henley Halebrown
- Tokyo Bike cycle tour exploring London’s urbanism
- By Beck Road 19: A Bethnal Green terrace serving as an open-door art gallery throughout the weekend
- Social Communities: the return of a programme events for OPDC exploring Old Oak and Park Royal, successful Crowdfund London projects and the infamous Savile Row.
- Social Housing: discussing the future of London’s residential townscape with Clarion Housing Group, Wembley Park and leading social housing architects Pollard Thomas Edwards Architects.
- Social City: uncover London with Londonewcastle, Art Fund, AirBnB and Foster + Partners who is opening 6 of their projects this year.
Must see inspiring homes
Must see inspiring homes include the Gin Distillery by Open Practice Architecture, Nimtim Architect’s Block House, Ash House by R2 Studio Architects, Archer + Braun’s Béton Brit.
Award-winning buildings participating include Coal Drops Yard, 2018 Stirling Prize winner Bloomberg European Headquarters and RIBA London Award winners Camden Mews (aka Max Fordham House) and South London Gallery.
“Alongside 10 Downing Street and the US Embassy and other London favourites, we’re opening up some of the best new social housing in the UK this year – to celebrate 100 years since the Addison Act made ‘housing for everyone’ a national responsibility, an ambition Open House is proud to support.” – Rory Olcayto, director, Open House